Immediate Postoperative Instructions After Placement of Dental Implants
- No spitting or rinsing your mouth for 2 days. These can cause bleeding
- Bleeding is normal for 24 hours and will increase with talking and general activity.
- Bite on MOIST gauze for 20 minutes at a time and change until bleeding stops.
- If bleeding continues or is increasing, place a moist tea bag (not herbal) directly over surgical site and bite down for 1 hour. Repeat as needed.
- After something cold and soft to eat, like a milkshake or yogurt, take pain medicine as directed.
600mg Ibuprofen OR 500mg Tylenol WITH the Narcotic prescription every 4-6 hours.
- If nauseated, take 25 mg of Benadryl to settle the stomach.
- Take antibiotic as directed. If rash or itching develops, stop taking antibiotic, take 25 mg of Benadryl and call the office.
- Apply ice pack to face (20 min. on 20 min off) for 24 hours to control bleeding, pain and swelling.
- Eat cold, soft foods until numbness wears off to avoid biting your lip or tongue.
- No hard, crunchy foods for 2 weeks. Refer to diet sheet for food suggestions.
- Avoid chewing on surgical site for at least 1 week while area is healing.
- Avoid straws for 2 days.
Oral Hygiene (see additional instructions on back of paper)
- Brushing with a soft bristled, manual toothbrush may be resumed the day following surgery, being careful to avoid the surgical site.
- You may gently rinse with water only, but do not swish vigorously to protect the surgical site
- If instructed, one week after the procedure, gently rinse with warm salt water twice daily for one week. [ 1 cup warm water + 1 tsp salt]
- No exercise or heavy lifting for 3-4 days, or as directed
- Swelling and bruising are normal following surgery and can peak on day 3 then start to dissipate
- Bruising is possible, especially if patient is on blood thinners
- If pain increases or is referred to the ear on day 4-5, call the office to be evaluated for a possible muscle spasm
- Take Motrin to reduce discomfort
- Smoking delays healing, avoid for 1 week following surgical procedures
If healing cap placed: (in addition to General Instructions)
- Continue rinsing with Peridex twice a day for one week.
- Do not brush healing cap for 2 weeks until gum tissue has healed.
Do not use floss or WaterPik around the implant for one week
Signs to watch for
Fever, chills, sour taste of pus, swelling that worsens after the third day, bleeding after the second day.
If you notice any of these signs, call the office.
Post Implant Instructions
Post implant care: (After your dentist restores the implant with a crown)
The most common reasons for failure of an implant are:
- Improper oral hygiene. Maintain excellent oral hygiene. Brush and flossed just like any other tooth. Even though the crown won’t get decayed, lack of good hygiene can cause bone loss around the implant and eventual failure of the implant. Visit your dentist every 6 months or as needed and follow oral hygiene instructions carefully.
- We highly encourage smoking cessation.
- Uncontrolled immunosuppressive diseases, eg. Diabetes etc; or Immunosuppressive medications, eg. For rheumatoid arthritis etc.
- Bruxism/Clenching. If you are prone to clench or grind your teeth, we highly recommend getting a bite guard (night guard) to protect your implants. Talk to your dentist about it.